I started with a dress from Dharma Trading that I was pretty sure my youngest would like. (She did.) Using a pale yellow dye bath, I ombred about eight inches of the hem.
My intent was to ombre the other way as well, in turquoise, but I made the dye bath too strong and didn’t really see much of a gradient. I had the dress clipped onto a hanger and also failed to move the clips around, which meant that I ended up with some yellow patches where the clips had held it. I squeezed some dye into them by hand, and though they’re still visible, they became less obvious.
I’d folded the dress in half in order to fit my dye bath/hanger, and was worried that there’d be a visible line along that fold. Fortunately that didn’t seem to matter.
Then I added fabric paint. I had a set of dragonfly stencils I’d picked up from a craft store years ago, and some Lumiere paints. I used Pearlescent Blue for the bodies, and Halo Blue Gold for the wings, which ended up looking basically golden.